Sunday, August 4, 2019

International Quilt Museum, Lincoln NE

So now that I have kids in Nebraska, I make a trip there every month or so.

There are two places that I go regularly when I go:
  1. The International Quilt Museum
  2. The local quilt shops between Lincoln/Omaha.
Back in 2015, I did a tour of the Accuquilt headquarters!  Yes, I have “Quilting on the Brain”, actually anything sewing related!

So the day after July 4th, I headed to the IQM (International Quilt Museum) in Lincoln, NE.  They had just opened their new exhibit, “Duality”.

I always love spending a couple of hours walking thru the IQM.  Not only is it a quilting education, but it opens your eyes to the different cultures.

Did you know that India bought in African’s as slaves and mercenaries back in the 1600’s?  These people are known as the “Siddi” and still exist as an ethnic group!  This was part of the “Collecting and Recollecting” exhibit.



The wow factor was the “DUALITY” exhibit!  This exhibit just made your mouth drop open!
Emiko Loeb, has taken the log cabin pattern to a whole new level!  When I walked thru this exhibit initially, I wasn’t aware that each quilt, has a back that is just as amazing as the front!  As matter of fact you don’t know which side is considered the front and which is the back!  I probably spent a good two hours just in this area alone.  I was just awestruck by her talent.

For example one of the quilts on exhibit is called “The Promise”.   Here is one side of the quilts:

One side of Promise Quilt

The Other Side of the Promise quilt!
Every time I go to IQM, I have never been disappointed!  (I hate I missed the “Kuba to Kente” exhibit, but I know there will be others).  My husband has encouraged me to get a membership, since this place is a must see every time I’m in the Omaha area.  He’s even gone with me before, and was totally amazed and overwhelmed!

I just had to share my experience at IQM.  So if you are in Lincoln, definitely make a trip to the IQM, you won’t be disappointed!

Well back to my regularly scheduled sewing program....

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment