Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Detour from Garment Sewing . . .


Most of the time I'm sewing garments; however, I have been known to dabble in quilting.   During the  past couple of days, I've been doing some hand applique for a quilt top.   When I was a little girl in Mississippi, I remember my maternal grandmother making quilts from rags and old pieces of clothing.  Then all the women would come over and the "smoke house" (where they smoked meat) became a quilting house.  She had a quilt frame that was hung from the ceiling and they would all hand quilt or tie-off the quilts. One of her favorite quilt tops to do was "Sun Bonnet Sue".  Anytime I see her, I just automatically start to smile and think of my grandmother.   During the time I've been somewhat incapacitated, I decided to do some hand quilting.  I could keep my little box with me and stitch a block or two.  I've only got two left to complete and then I can piece the top. I purchased some batik fat quarters in varying colors from Joan Fabrics when they were on sale for $1.00.   NOTE: If you are a teacher be sure to get your teacher discount card.  It gets you 15% off your total purchase, and is good for an entire year.   Here are some of the squares I’ve completed: Sewing1
Sewing2
Sewing3
Sewing4
Sewing5
Sewing6
I think they are just adorable.  Sunbonnet Sue is a weak spot for me.  She brings back such fond memories of my grandmother.  I got a chance to bring together to of my favorite loves: my grandmother and sewing.
Happy Sewing . . . .








1 comment: