Sunday, July 29, 2012

One of my favorite notions . . .

Every seamstress has a couple of "can't do without" notions. The typical list includes: scissors; seam ripper; rotary cutter; cutting mat; etc. For me its my measuring guage. I'm not talking of the adjustable gauges:




But for me its the fixed 14 in 1 measuring gauge. These gauges allow you to measure from 1/8th inch to 2 inches.




I have two of these; one from Bernina and one from Viking. I found mine at a little antique mall in Wyoming for 50 cents each. Sewing Machine companies used to make these to give to customers; but I don't' think they do so anymore. Dritz still makes them. I've seen them ranging in price from $2.50 (ebay) to $5.00 (online).

I like these way better than the ones with the adjustable slides. When I use the adjustable slide, I have a tendency to nudge the slide out of place. This isn't the case with these. Then there is the added fact that because of there size, they are very easy to travel with (I can just stick it in a pocket in my purse). That's also the downfall; because of their size, they are easy to loose. So far I have managed to keep up with these two; with a lot of determination. (When I can't find them I start to panic).

I still use the one with the adjustable slide; when I need to measure more than 2 inches. But these are my first choice for anything 2 inches or less.

Happy Sewing . . . .


2 comments:

  1. ah, I have 2 of these as well, a plastic one (I think it came in a fabric.com order) and a metal one. If I could remember where I bought the metal one, I'd stock up ! So handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this metric part of the world, we love these: A seam-o-meter: http://www.krestoffer.dk/product_thumb.php?img=images/soemometer.jpg&w=280&h=280

    ReplyDelete