Tuesday, June 17, 2014

All Good Plans are laid to rest when Shingles comes to visit . . .

So my youngest son was getting married on Labor Day weekend.  He and I had planned our Mother/Son dance.  We weren't going to go the traditional route; but rather do ours to "Step in the Name of Love".  I had chosen the dress I was going to make and had purchased the fabric on Monday so I could start my sewing.

My pattern was going to be Vogue 8999:

Vogue Patterns 8999 Misses' Dress and Bolero Line Drawing

Out of this silk duppioni  that I found at Colorado Fabrics in Denver:



I even called the bride to confirm that it met with her approval.  Then I got what I thought was an infected insect bite.  Every once in a while I would have pains radiating from my back to my rib cage.  I couldn't stand for anything to be fitted against my back where the so called insect bites were (No bra, no t-shirt ... you get the picture).  I finally went to the doctor, and found out my insect bites were SHINGLES!  May you never have shingles!

Now I had to change my plans:

  1. Pray that God would give me a reprieve on the pain and itching on the wedding day 

  2. Pray that me and my son would be able to do the planned dance

  3. Pray I could make the 8 hour drive there and back

  4. Change my dress, I now needed something that would look nice and not put pressure on the rash area

  5. Pray that I could find something easy and quick to make as I was not in the mood physically nor mentally to go shopping.

In my fabric stash I would find a olive green jersey knit.  That should work!  It would have to work.

Now what do I do about a loose fitting top, and the bra-less issue.  First of all THANK GOD and VICTORIA SECRETS for backless bras!  

I found this pattern in my vintage stash  - OOP McCall 4835, view C ( Similar current pattern McCall 6400)



The OOP pattern was looser fitting than the McCall 6400 pattern, so I went with it.  There was only 1 pattern piece (front and back) for the top.  So that was right up my alley.

For the bottom half I chose to do a mermaid skirt.  I used the tutorial provided by Cathleen de Ontiveros.  It was really simple, and it also only required 1 pattern piece.  I really like how the skirt pattern is smaller at the waist, and kept this concept in my skirt.  The skirt was made with an elastic waistband.  I also added an underlining for about 3/4 of the length.  I didn't want the lighting to show thru my skirt.  

Closeup of waistband:

*DSC_0046

DSC_0047

Skirt Lining:

DSC_0048

All of the seamlines were done on my sewing machine using a tiny zigzag.  I also used a tiny zigzag for the hemming on both skirt and top.  It only took 2 hours total to finish the outfit (which was about as long as I could go without the pain meds!).

I inserted a rod into the sleeves so that you can see that the top is very fitted on the right side, and loose on the left side.

DSC_0049

DSC_0050

God answered all my prayers!  I finished the dress in time for our trip.  And yes, I made it thru the Mother/Son dance without incident!  I just loaded up on pain killers afterwards.  My son had his memorable dance, and I got a chance to see a hugh smile on his face when we were done!  Isn't that what we mother's live for !!!!  God is SO-O-O-O GOOD!!!  Then I went back to the apartment and took pain meds!  (Once I get pics with me in the outfit I'll post them).

In 3 short years I went from the mom of 2 single men to the mom of 2 wedded men!

My youngest son on Memorial Day weekend. . . .

geofangela2

My Oldest son 3 years ago. . .

mikewed2



Happy Sewing . . .

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you have shingles! :(
    Your sons and new daughters are beautiful! And that dress?! Wow! It looks so regal! I love the color of the jersey. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that your prayers were answered and everything turned out great.

    ReplyDelete