Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Free sewing pattern on Sewing Pattern.com

Well, I was just fishing around on the internet, and came across the following free patterns at sewingpatterns.com. The following patterns were for free (plus some others):

I requested the Mccall and Simplicity pattern. I'm going to print them tomorrow. The website uses what is known as "secure printing". You can only print the files, you can't save the patterns to a disk.

I'll let you know how it goes. By the way I'm prepping for spring, and just finished my first "spring print" dress. What better way to get ready for spring than to mentally prepare. "If you think it, it will come". I'll put pix up tomorrow.

UPDATE: 4/9/2010 - Well I tried to print the McCall pattern, and am not sure this service is worth it. First of all I can only print the pattern from the computer that I originally used when I signed onto the service (which rules out the possibility of me taking the pattern to Kinko's to print it, and believe me Kinko's is not about to let me bring my computer to their shop and get onto their network; nor do I want to do that). I could print it from home, but I have no desire to tape together 45 sheets of 8 1/2 inch paper to make a pattern. However, I did send their support organization an email to see if there is a way to print the patterns from another computer, without having them change my default computer. I was told that I would have to send them an email so that they could reset the account to allow me to print from another machine. This to me is inconvenient. It's better/more-convenient in my perspective to just catch a sell on the pattern at the store. This maybe worth it for patterns that don't have very many pieces &/or contains smaller pieces, say the pattern for the purse. But right now I'm not seeing it being practical for larger patterns like dresses, etc.

Additional update Arielle gave me a heads up on one of the patterns "McCall 5446"; while I was editing the comment for the update above:

"... I just want to point out that there's something funky with the armscyes in the McCalls. The Slapdash Sewist made it and she is not the only one, IIRC, who couldn't lift her arms while wearing the dress!!! Just a heads-up!..."
Thanks for the info Arielle! I was thinking of just picking it up at the store but if I may have these kind of problems with it then I think I'll spend some time on something more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment