Monday, April 13, 2009

Custom Pattern Weights

I was looking for something to do, and decided I need some more weights to use for my sewing. I didn't want to pay the outlandish price that I did when I bought the ones from the sewing store. But I didn't want a bunch of metal washers either. So here's what I started with:

List of items:
  1. 3/4 inch washers from local hardware store
  2. 1 skein of embroidery thread
  3. glue from my scrapbooking supplies (glue used for paper, metal, fabric)
  4. tracing paper (to use for bottoms
Stack two of the washers together. I did this to give it some added weight. I also put a little glue between the two washers to hold them together

Begin wrapping the thread on the washer, make sure that the thread wraps are bumped against each other. Also, have the tail of the thread such that your wrappings are over it


Continue wrapping until the entire washer is covered. Then make a knot in the last loop. Finally place some glue along the side of the washer where the knot is. This will keep the knot from coming apart.

Your completed weights will look like this:
The one in red was done using pearl cotton thread, the other using regularly embroidery thread.

It only costs me 34 cents per washer; so it came to Approximately 70 cents per weights, and $7 to make a set of 10 weights. Plus it was something I could do while I was watching TV with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment