Wednesday, January 9, 2019

My Very Own African King!

Like every seamstress, I do all types of sewing; garment, smocking, heirloom sewing, quilting, etc.

I can't really tell you which is my favorite, I tend to cycle thru them.

I belong to a quilt guild here in Denver.  I have been working on a quilt design for our 25th anniversary.  We decided to go with the African Queen quilt block.  Each member will make a version of the block which will be used in Guild Quilt.  This block is pretty easy to find on the internet, and very easy to draft.. (Sample layouts of African Queen).



Since we have some male members, we needed a African King pattern. I couldn't find a variation of a African King pattern. So I set up on the task of creating my own African King pattern.
I use the Electric Quilt 8 software to generate my African King.


Both blocks were drafted on a 3x3 grid.  For example for the head of both designs is a 3" square. 
The body is a 6" square:


The Electric Quilt software made it very easy to draft both designs.  Here's a sample of the line drawing for the African Queen:


The nice thing about EQ (Electric Quilt) is that I can easily print out the pattern for the design in a  pieced, applique, or rotaty cutting format.  I can also resize with no-effort. My current design is for a 9" finished size square block. 

Creating a quilt layout using the blocks is very easy in EQ.  Two of the layouts that I've played with are below:


EQ also provides me with yardages for the quilt design along with the final quilt measurements.  The layout above results in a 80"x80" quilt.  (YEA! I didn't have to pull out the paper, pencil and calculator).

EQ made the whole block design and layout simple. I can still play with it, as I figure out a layout design that will work based on the number of completed blocks I get back.

We're expecting to have the project done by May of this year.  I'll take pix and post here.

Happy Sewing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment