Saturday, December 8, 2018

Baby Vintage....

I love a good vintage pattern just like everyone else.

I can't tell you how many I have in my stash.  I even went so far as to learn to grade patterns up in size for those patterns that I just fell in love with but only come in a size too small for my needs.

Well a while back my mom sent me a box full of vintage patterns, and I'd say a good third of them were children's patterns. Needless to say this pattern caught my eye for my granddaughter:

Vintage Simplicity 8051 2 piece button sleeper
 Then over the thanks giving I caught the door-buster sale of 70% off on flannel, which came to about $1.70 per yard.  I only needed 1.5 yards to make the two piece pajama.


I decided to make view 1 (the portrait of the little girl).  This pattern calls for felted seams (yea, right!), like I'm going to go to all of that trouble for a toddler.  NOT!.  I did short sleeves.

Finally being "stingy", I didn't have gathered lace in my stash like I thought I had.  I wan't going to make a run to the store for like a yard of lace.  I did have some flat lace, so decided I'd do my own gathering.  I hand stitched it with thread.

Next onto making the garment making.  Normally, I trace my patterns, since todays pattern come with multiple sizes.  Since this pattern is single sized (only a size 2 pattern in the pakage), no tracing required.

Why do I trace?  Well I've got several from back in the day, that I wish I had left in tack.  I'd love to make them again, but because I cut to the size I needed, I can't use them now.  I hate to admit it; but I'm no longer a size 10 (ha-ha).  So now I trace when I have a multi size pattern.

Back to the pajamas ....

I had this flannel, that I had purchased.  I just couldn't resist the stick girls all in a line!



I used gripper fabric for the bottom of the feet and some 3/8 inch buttons that I had in my stash.


The first thing I had to do was line my girls up in a row across the seams. (I know I complained about the felled seams, but not matching the little girls was just going to annoy me).  The buttons are along the front (3 total).  And the back has the elastic gathered at the waistband: The soles of the pajama pants are done with gripper fabric, t add some traction.


The elastic is placed in the entire waistband.  It is allowed to lay flat in the front, and the button holes in the front waistband are sewn thru the elastic.  Along the back waist the elastic is stretched, resulting in a gathered waist in the back of the pant. The top has button closures in the back.


And when its all said and done, I have a completed toddler pajama set.
Excuse my cutting area!


She's not quite a size 2 yet, but she'll grow into it (that's what my Mom would say).

Now on to the other 6!  I'm making some in anticipation of the next grandchild.

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I remember wearing footed pj's as a child. I buy footed sleepers for my grandchildren but they don't make the footed pajamas anymore. Your granddaughter will cerainly enjoy wearing them.

    ReplyDelete