Saturday, November 3, 2018

Padding the Dressform.....

Well, as I said in a prior post, its time for me to actually pad out my dress-form to actually resemble my body size/shape.

Most of the time I just used it for hanging my outfits on to take pictures.  I've gotten to a point where I know my body shape pretty well, and can make adjustments without having to make a muslin.  But I finally decided it would be nice to have one a dress form that was similar in shape to my (i.e. one with a rear).

So since I have access to Craftsy Unlimited (aka Bluprint), I decided to view the class:  Fitting Essentials: Customize Your Dress Form.


The class provided good, step by step instructions on how to pad your dress-form.  

It recommends you have a partner to do your measurements.  However, my husband is not that 
handy with a tape measure.  So I just altered my pattern till it was a snug fit.

The pattern I used is Butterick 5678:


I altered the pattern so that the front was cut on a center fold and placed a zipper in the back.  I also did my standard alterations thru the hip/buttocks area.

I hate that I didn't take a picture of my form prior to my padding alterations; but it is what it is.
My original dress form is a Fabulous Fit form that I purchased several years ago.



Its a decent duplicate for now.  Over time I can adjust the padding as I get a better feel for the accuracy of my padding.  


Dide

Back

Front

The bagginess at the bottom is from the drawstring at the bottom of the cover.  Because this dress-form has a wire rack at the bottom the drawstring can only be pulled in a certain amount.  Maybe, I'll think of tapering the bottom of the cover to fit the dress form.

I've still got some fine tuning to do such as adding more padding in the shoulder; but the padded form is a lot closer to my actual body.

Happy Sewing. . . . 

1 comment: