Saturday, March 31, 2018

Yes, sewing can be a PHYSICAL HEALTH HAZARD!!

Yes, sewing can cause you physical harm; Especially if you own one of the newer machines that weigh 30+ lbs.

Let me explain how I discovered this.  I had to take my machine in for its annual maintenance. When you have one of the newer machines that does everything but cook, you learn to take it in for regular maintenance like you do your car.

So I had my husband place my machine in the car like he usually does. Typically I put it on the backseat rather than the floor; but since I was going to work first, I didn't want it sitting in plain site. So this time I had him place it on the floor in the back, since I was going to work.  That was my first mistake!

When I got to the sewing shop, I went to lift the machine off of the floor of my car and I knew I had done something to my back.  I figured I must have just pulled a muscle or something.  Boy, was I wrong!

I didn't feel any pain for about a week or so (other than some stiffness and a little soreness).  Then I got up on a Sunday, and literally could not put any weight on my left leg without excruciating pain!  Over the next week or so,  I would go to the emergency room, only to be given a shot for the pain and then pain meds, and told to go to see my personal doctor.  I went to my family doctor and was told it was just a strain.  I was again given pain meds and a anti-inflammatory.

Each time I took a step, all I could do was call on the Lord and say,  "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus"!

In a week I began to get severe cramps in my left leg and it felt as if I had stuck my foot in a bucket of ice water.  Back to the doctor I went.  I was given a stronger anti-inflammatory.

Within 3 days I could not walk at all and was literally crawling (as that was the only way I could move without severe pain).  That day, I finally took it upon myself to call a specialist.  I wound up at a neurologist/spine specialist office and was immediately admitted to the hospital .  Turns out I had severely herniated a disk which was compressing a nerve!  I was developing drop foot. in addition to the excruciating pain and what was now numbness in my left toes.

I am on the road to recovery, after having emergency surgery for the herniated disk.  After 6 weeks of post op, and then 6 weeks of physical therapy, the doctor expects me to recover completely with no permanent damage.

So to those of you that have these "heavy", larger than life machines, like me.  BE CAREFUL!!!!!

I have informed my husband that I will not be attempting to lift anything from here on out. (For those of you from the deep south you will understand this statement; "If I can't put it in my bra, I ain't carrying it!!!!). 

If  I need to take my machine to the shop, I will NOT attempt to lift it.  Never again!!  I will hire a moving company if needed!  I have learned my lesson!!

So those of you out there with heavy machines:

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU LIFT YOUR SEWING MACHINE!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. WOW! Thank you for this post. Glad you are alright with no permanent damage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, please get all better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! I'm so glad you are on the mend but who on earth would expect that?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete