Friday, April 6, 2018

When you can't sew, PLAN!!

Well as I've spent the last couple of weeks recovering from my back injury, I began to get stir crazy.

Lately, I've been on a "planner" craze.  I use one at work, and figured it's probably time to expand that to my personal life and my sewing.

I came across the "Happy Planner" at my local Michael's store.  They were 70% off, and i had a coupon for an additional to 20%.  That bought the cost to $7.20 (regular price $29.99) for a Big planner (i.e. 8 1/2 x 11).  It's what is known as a "Disk Bound" planner.


Big Happy Planner

  I cann remove are add pages to it. I chose to add gridded pages.  This one I chose to add have a 10x10 grid.

This gives me a place to write notes and do diagrams for garments or quilts that I might consider.

The next thing I needed to track my garment projects.  Especially those where I am recreating something I've seen on the internet or in a store. Rather than creating new pages, I thought I'd see what is out there already.  I found some pages from the Seamwork Collection Planner. (These pages are free).  The pages I chose to use are the "Look" pages and the Project Plan page.  These fit perfectly for what I needed.

Planner pages from Seamworker's Sewing Planner by Collette

Here is an example of how I use these pages.  I'm currrently recreating a dress that I saw on stylepantry.com.  I like this simple casual dress that can be dressed up with pumps or down with sneakers.  Of course this isn't available in the size or length that I need as a 6 foot tall worman.

Photo from StylePantry.com and accessible on Stylepantry Instagram


This is the original page with the plan for the Adidas dress shown above.


Here is my plan to complete this dress, using yoked dress pattern from Simplicity


Well off to continue my "sewing planning" as I continue my recovery.

Happy Sewing.....

1 comment: