Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Honey, I shrunk your dress!!!

Well remember all the sewing I posted a while back.  I got it done.  I made three knit dresses and was loving them. Especially the one made from this wool knit:

It turned out just the right length, and fit.  I wish I could show you post a picture of me in it.  But . . . . .

I only got a chance to wear it once!!!  My husband decided he would wash it.  I don't know why, it didn't need it.   (I know he was trying to be nice, but sometimes I just can't handle him being nice 😔).

Between the washing and the dryer spins, the dress was done for!!  Remember this was a wool knit fabric!  From looking at the picture it looks OK, right?  Wrong!  First of all the neck-opening shrunk; I can no longer get it over my head!  Second it shrunk thru the side seams, the width is about 3-4 inches; that's a lot when you have "back". Third its about 6 inches shorter than it needs to be.

You should have seen his face when he realize what had happened!  I tried to play it off as no biggie; I'll just make another.  I was disappointed though.  He told me to see if I can find some more of this fabric and he would pay for it (I bought this fabric a couple of years back on the JoAnn's clearance table at 50% off!; but I'll keep looking).

His intentions were well meant, and I'll have to keep telling myself that "He's my babies daddy" 😏.  

He's decided not to attempt to wash any of my knit dresses anymore without my approval.

Oh well, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!".

Happy Sewing.....

2 comments:

  1. OUCH! That was painful to read! ((Hugs)). Hopefully you find an equally awesome fabric to make a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poo-- I hate when stuff like that happens. What worse, is when we do it to ourselves. I've had a few of my own laundry mishaps. It's still a beautiful dress--maybe donate it?...I would certainly take him up on his offer and find another beautiful knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete