So I’ve joined two challenges to make my clothing for a year. The first one is almost at the end: “The Sew Your Own Wardrobe” challenge. Its scheduled to end in March. This was my starter, and I have to admit, I’ve stayed true to it. My husband was surprised. Even with trips to Los Angeles and New York, I have not given in to the desire.
Because of this challenge I’ve even branched out and made my 1st dress shirt (yet to be posted). Being tall as I am though it didn’t take a lot of restraint to not buy ready-to-wear. There just are not too many garments on the rack that fit a 6 foot tall woman.
Well when Goodbye Valentino, started another challenge, “NO Ready To Wear”, I jumped at the opportunity.
So since I am not buying clothing, what am I buying? Well I can now focus on the accessories like jewelry and shoes. And then there is always fabric and more fabric.
On my way home today, I decided to stop over to Colorado Fabrics in Denver.
This is one of my favorite fabric stores in the area for fashion fabrics. I still do the big chain because they are closer to my home.
So today I went to their bargain table and found these four pieces:
I know what you are wondering what I am going to do with them. The solid brown piece at the top, I will be using as a muslin for jeans. I think its time to refit my pattern
The next sort of crackle piece is about 1.5 yards so I’m planning on some crop pants. It’s a denim weight with just a little bit of lycra/spandex in it.
The strip piece is about 2 yards, I’m going to make a top to wear with jeans
The checkered piece is a nice knit weight with faux leather look. I was thinking of a nice peplum type top, something to wear with a nice pencil skirt. I don’t know thought it might be too much
And then they have a “by the pound” bin that is $2/lb. Both pieces were at least a yard in length, and knits so they will be excellent for making tops. I’m thinking something to work out in.
Did I need more fabric? Probably not; but its way better than therapy, and definitely a lot cheaper.
Happy Sewing . . . .
nice fabrics! I often think about a big shopping spree when our year is up lol! but I'm actually loving getting back into sewing & think about all the fabric I'll buy for the next year lol!
ReplyDeleteHelen
I'm jealous of that faux leather and checked fabric...nice pieces!
ReplyDeleteSandy,
ReplyDeleteYour sewing, fabric selections, and outfits are FABULOUS! Found you through the sewyourownwardrobechallenge and you've intrigued me with your newest challenge.
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Cheers,
Marie
Substance of Living
I'm glad to hear you've joined us on sewing your own wardrobe. It is a scary thing but it is also such fun to sew your own clothes. I've forced myself to learn techniques I never would have learned if I could have avoided them. I love the knit striped fabric you bought as well the checkered piece.
ReplyDelete