Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Sewing Challenge

So although I've been recovering from my foot surgery;I've been busy sewing all types of garments. One outfit that I just finished is a peplum top and skirt.

The Pencil Skirt:


Pattern Used:  Mimi Goodwin Knit Pencil Skirt Tutorial
  • Description:  This is an excellent tutorial for a knit skirt.  It is made according to your personal measurements.

  • Summary:  This tutorial is excellent for beginners.  It didn't take me more than 30 minutes to make.

  • Alteration: The only alteration that I made to the skirt was to taper it in at the lower edge by approximately 2-3 inches to maintain the tapered appearance.

  • Fabric: Ponte Knit; 60 inches wide by 1 yard


After completing the skirt I discovered that I had a simple button front sweater that matched the skirt exactly.  I purchased it a couple of years ago from Old Navy.
I had made this skirt about 2 months ago and had already planned to make a blouse out of some fabric that I had gotten from JoAnn Fabrics clearance table.


 I had McCall 6754 in my stash, and figured it would make up well in the couldn't find quite the right top pattern to use.
McCall 6754 Peplum Top
  • Pattern Used:       McCall 6754 top (view C)
  • Description:      Peplum blouse, view C;  size 14 with minor alterations 
  • Alterations:  Added 5 inches to length of peplum (to accommodate my 6 ft frame)
  • Summary:     Top was very easy to put together.  I assembled the blouse on my serger, and hand stitched all of the hems.  I didn't want topstitching to distract from the paisley style print of the fabric. The pattern went together very easily.




I can't wait till my foot is fully recovered and I can get back in my heels so that I can take better photos.I had to start posting some of my sewing because my stack of completed was getting large.
Happy Sewing . .. .

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have started posting - its nice to see what you have been doing. The garments are lovely, and when you finally get back into your shoes, you'll have some lovely clothes to wear.

    ReplyDelete