I've been just sewing non-stop over the last couple of weeks. I think its my way of dealing with my daughter's departure for college in the next couple of weeks.
Well I had to take one of my machines to the "doctor" on yesterday. The reverse on my Viking Designer 1 had stopped working, and the light would only come on intermittently. I'm happy to say that the tech said the key pad just needs to be replaced (Whew! I thought for sure it would be the system board). I should have it back on Monday.
I've gotten so used to having 2 machines, that I am really missing the D1. So I went to the basement and bought up a machine that I had about 6 years ago at a garage sale. My plan was to use it for quilting. I did for a while, then.... Well it was out of sight, out of mind, until my other had to go to the shop. It's an old domestic #153 machine. Boy is this thing a WORKHORSE! I'll be using this for the topstitching on the jeans I'm working on.
I had gotten the orignal manuals with it, and it has every foot you could imagine with it (4 hemmer feet, ruffler/gathering, zipper, darning, etc). I tried out the ruffler foot, and let's just say I won't be buying a ruffler foot for the Bernina or Viking. Now I've just got to find a permanent place for it, when my D1 is back.
Now I'm finding myself wanting one of the Singer Featherweights, my excuse has been I could take it to sewing classes, etc. I find myself looking at craigslist, newspaper ads, etc searching for older machines. I'm hoping this is just a phase I'm going thru. I keep telling myself that I don't need another machine.
I also started up a little quilting class/group. I ended up with about 13 women in it (much to my surprise!). We just did a little wall hanging (~42x42). We meet again middle of August for everyone to see each other's hanging. We're trying to decide when we'll do another class.
Maybe this is just another symptom of me dealing with my daughter leaving. I'm going to go play with the Domestic for a little bit, and see what "new" things I can do with it. And I've got a dress to finish up.
Is your daughter going off to college?
ReplyDeleteYes, she'll be gone on 8/20. I have moments when I get down because my baby is leaving home, but then I know she is doing what I raised her to do. Become her own woman. Now I'm TRULY understanding the things my mom used to tell me about moms and their daughters
ReplyDelete