Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Start of a New Year

Well, very Happy New Year to everyone!

This past year has been one of growth, learning, joy, and pain (but aren't they all). My prayer is that the new one will bring much joy to everyone.

How did I spend my New Year's Day? Well I of course went to the fabric store; Denver Fabrics here in Colorado, everything was 30% off and silk dupioni was 50% off (I'll post pictures later).

But most of my day was spent cleaning my sewing room for a new arrival. See my husband decided to surprise me with something that I had been "googling" over for the last month. I pick it up on tomorrow. In preparation, I swapped my sewing room with my youngest son (his room was bigger, and since he's only home on breaks from graduate school I figured why waste all that unused space). I didn't realize how much stuff I had (sewing and non-sewing related). I'm talking super-hero action figures, baseball/basketball cards, clothes that haven't seen the outside of the closet in years (specifically basketball jerseys my boys wore when they were 10!).

We were keeping a lot of "memories" in boxes in the closets. My new motto is "if it hasn't been used in 3 months then consider giving it to someone that will use it".

As you go through the items, you begin to realize just how much your life has changed, and will continue to change. Its a bitter-sweet and sobering moment; But with God's assistance the change is always for the good. Seems like it was just yesterday when we had to move the end tables to the basement because the boys were using them as diving boards!

I've been trying to pull together my Goals for this 2009, so here's a rough-draft:
  1. Continue to acknowledge God for his presence in my life
  2. Exercise at least 30 minutes each day (I've already joined the local 24 hour fitness, and started going every other day since beginning of December)
  3. Run in my first 5k of half-marathon (just keeping it real) by June 2009
  4. Tell all the key people in my life that I love them regularly.
  5. Complete Daughter's Basketball scrapbook
  6. Document everything I sew
  7. Make a custom dress form
  8. Improve my fitting techniques
  9. Complete quilt for my son
Tomorrow, I'll post pics of my "Christmas Gift", fabric purchase, and "cleaned-up" sewing room.

Lots of Love to everyone....

2 comments: