Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Continuing my 2020 survival sewing . . . A Quilt Along (QAL)

I've been continuing to do my survival sewing. I was hoping my survival sewing would end with 2020; but looks like this will continue into 2021. So I'm calling this my 2020/21 Survival Sewing. I'm hoping to get back into garment sewing; but that may be a while. My company is officially switching us to a remote working environment. This is going to go on at least thru the first quarter of 2021. So I'll continue to sew to keep my sanity! 

I've been quarantingint to the max!  I've also continued to work on my quilt tops. The latest was a quilt along sponsored by Janome, Maywood fabrics, and "Love of Quilting" magazine.
Quilt photo from Quilting Daily

The quilt is a 6 part series.  The entire quilt instructions can be found at Warmth of our Stars.
It is available in its entirety till Jan  7th (along with videos).  After that it can be found monthly thru 2021 in "Love of Sewing" magazine.

Of course, being that I get impatient when it comes to finishing quilts.  I've downloaded the instructions, and completed my quilt top last week (just need to add border).

Center Star with Flying Geese

It's starting to come together

The total top, completed just need to add border.

This is the first time I've made a pieced a quilt using flannel.  I did a rag quilt a couple of years ago, which is totally different from from doing piecing with flannel.  I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of using flannel for piecing; but may give it another try later.

Some of the take aways I got from this: 
  1. Pre-wash the flannel.  I wasn't sure of how much shrinkage would occur, so I prewashed it.  I'm glad I did.
  2. Press your seams open.  Using flannel the fabric is bulkier, so pressing the seam allowances to one side creates too much bulk.
  3. Definitely PRESS AS YOU GO!!!  Makes like so much easier.
On to the next quilt top.....

Happy Sewing Everyone!

1 comment: