Sunday, November 8, 2020

2020 Survival Quilting (continued):

This is emotional and trying times for all of us.  So as I've said before my sewing has become my therapy.

Initially, I was making lots of clothing; but decided that wasn't going to work for me. When I make clothes I feel the need to wear them.  Well since I've been working from home since March, 2020; there really is no place for me to wear them.  I don't leave my house unless I have a need.  So having all of these garments with no pl
ace to wear them, was just making me more sullen.

So quilting to the rescue!  

I visit one of my local quilt shops almost every weekend.  The store is "A Quilter's Corner" located in Eric, CO.  They have some of the most amazing fabrics.

Well I fell in love with the M&S Textiles Australian Aboriginal fabrics.  They have some of the most beautiful colors and prints!


From A Quilter's Corner website

From A Quilter's Corner website


The prints are so vibrant!  I knew I needed to use them in a quilt.  My concern was that thy might be too busy.

So I decided to try to do something that would allow me to use the different prints.  Something like a scrap quilt, but I'd use the aboriginal prints instead.  Then I was inspired by the "Diamond Luau" pattern by Bluebear quilts.  It looked like the perfect way to use all of these prints.  I purchased 1/4 yd pieces of 25 of the prints.  I used a somewhat muted tones of red, black, and white for the background and the alternating block.

Of course my Accuqult Qube came in very handy for cutting the quilting pieces.  

As usual I enter my designs in Electric Quilt so that I can get a feel for the look of the pattern, and then I did two test blocks, and then was on my way.

After the first 3 rows, the layout looked like this: 


 
Needless to say I just feel in love with it!  

After another week, the quilt was completed and will be going to the quilters with the others.

Completed Quilt!

Closeup of quilt layout

The completed quilt is approximately 90 x 90.  The quilt design used, allowed me to use all of the prints in a single quilt without it being overwhelming.

I've got some left over of the 1/4 yd pieces to consider making another quilt from the pieces,

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment