Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Madame Curie in the house!

So I have a "movie buddy"; that is a young friend that goes to children movies with me (since my husband won't go).  Last week she had to give a presentation on Madame Curie at school.
She wanted to dress in character.  So since she and I are best buds 😊, I had to help her out.

First we had to find a pattern that was similar to Madame Curie's outfit in this photo:

The patterns I chose were: Simplicity 8272 for the top;
Simplicity Pattern 8272 Child's and Girl's Sleepwear and RobeAnd Simplicity 8774 for the skirSimplicity Sewing Pattern 8774 Children's and Girls' Costumes
For the top, first I added a 3/4" ruffled color at the neck and added a curved inset yoke with ruffled lace around it.  The pintucking was done using twin needles
Pintuck yoke with ruffled lace trim and ruffled band at neckline.

Ruffles added on sleeve


On back, used an elastic loop & button for closure
 With the skirt, I just eliminated some of the fullness, and used a Velcro enclosure on the waistband rather than a zipper.  To allow for overlap where the zipper was, I added 2 inches of fabric in the zipper area, and folded it over so that there was 1" of overlap when closed.
Skirt closure.
Now for the garment in action!!!!




Madame Curie is in the house!!

Happy Sewing.....

2 comments:

  1. I melt!!! As a chemist and sewer and brown lady :-D

    It is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just such a lovely story! Well done too on turning those patterns into a historical costume.

    ReplyDelete