Saturday, April 14, 2018

Fabric Manipulation Dress - COMPLETED!!

So I've completed it, and I think it is going to be cute on my grand-baby.

Here's the completed dress (I really wish I had a child mannequin to display it on - oh well).

Dress Front
If you take a close look at the yoke, I decided to do black piping around the neck, armholes, and bottom of the front yoke.
Closeup of yoke front
I made my own piping, because I didn't want it to be too big.  When I was looking for cording to use for the piping, I initially thought of using "by the yard" cording; but just couldn't bring myself to pay 99 cents/yard.  So I went to the yarn section of the store.  There I spotted this yarn for $2.50, and it contained almost 200 yards!  The yarn is 100% cotton and was more like a cotton cording.
Front and Back of yarn label (used to make piping)

Since the yarn was 100% cotton, I pre-shrunk it by dipping it in pipping hot water, and then steam pressing it till dry; to minimize shrinkage.  My grand-daughter will be in elementary school before I use all of this!

And finally the back of the dress.  I just used the polka dot fabric without alterations.  

I was thinking of using beauty pins on the back of the dress for the closure.  But will probably do buttons instead, as I don't think my daughter-in-law would be comfortable with the pins.


I made the dress in the size for a 1 year old.  I'm thinking she'll probably be able to wear it by summer.  She's currently in a 6-9 mos and is only 4 mos old.

On a side bar... .

Thanks for the well wishes on my back injury.  The first 4 weeks after the surgery was rough as I was flat on my back for most of it.  I've been moving more the last week, and can sit for brief moments (about 30-40 minutes at a stretch).  I'm walking more.  I've still got numbness in my foot; the doctor says that could take months to heal.  But I am walking with a cane.

Can you believe another woman in my quilting group did the same type of thing last year!!

So remember to be careful when picking up your sewing machines!!!

Happy Sewing . . .



1 comment:

  1. A beautiful dress -- love the piping. Thanks for the tip about the cording.

    ReplyDelete