Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Burda 5/2015 #125

Now for my next Burda pattern, I chose Burda 5/2015 #125:


This is a simple baby-doll style dress.  It is very comfortable to wear.

The dress has a lining and in-seam pockets in the sides of the center front section.  There are only 6 pattern pieces:
  •  center front (1 cut on fold)
  • side front (cut 2, cut 2 for lining)
  • modified front lining so that it is a single piece (cut 1 on fold for lining)
  • back ( cut 1, cut 1 on fold for lining)
  • Yoke front (cut 1 on fold,  cut 1 on fold for lining)
  • Yoke back (cut 2 on fold, cut 1 on fold for lining)
  • sleeves (cut 4)
  • pockets (cut 4)
For fabric I chose some fabric from my stash: a baby blue seersucker, a batik, and a cotton batiste for the lining.

I made a couple of changes to the overall pattern:
  • The center front actually consists of approximately 16 pleats, this is not obvious from the line drawing. You have to read the instructions to realize this.
    Center front with pleates
  •  I chose not to do the skirt lining with pleats.  Instead I did a slight gathering.  Doing a double layer of pleats just weighed the dress down. Also rather than doing the front lining in two sections, I did it as one piece on the fold.
    Front Lining
  • I used cotton batiste for the lining rather than the fashion fabric.  This gave the dress a light airy feel.  I also chose to put lace at the bottom of the lining rather than doing a hem.  I felt like it gave the dress a little extra something.
    Lining hem with lace attached
  • Since my lining is not as full as the actual dress, I left side vents in the lining.  This just aided in the walking ease without adding bulk to the dress.
    Side view of lining with vent
  • I used the same fabric for the entire skirt, unlike the pictured dress.
  • I added 6" to the overall length.
The keyhole at the neck adds a bit of "sexiness".  I did a handmade buttonhole loop. (Tutorial can be found here and here.)




Also in a dress like this its great to have pockets! They are hidden in the fullness of the center front.


The final dress:
Front View
Side View

 If you ask my husband, its not his favorite because it doesn't have shape.  But this is one of the most comfortable dresses to wear.  This little dress with gladiator sandals or ballerina style slippers is what I call 'no brainer dressing'.

Happy Sewing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment