Friday, January 24, 2014

Vintage made Modern


A while back I posted a turtle neck top that I had made from a vintage pattern (Just a little bit of leftover fabric . . ).  I lengthened the pattern into a dress and then tapered it in at the hemline by 2” on each side.




DSC_0582





Voila!  This is the resulting dress.  I love it, its not too tight and not to loose.  This is fabric that I purchased on the clearance rack in early 2013. ( I think it was at Denver Fabrics; now known as Colorado Fabrics).
I got this for 50% off, paid like $3/yard for it. I bought it to be a muslin as I tried to get the fit right for the top turned dress.  It fits beautifully, so its become a final dress.  I didn’t have to alter my dress pattern.







DSC_0583
Then I got lucky and found a knit at Colorado fabrics (formerly known as Denver fabrics).  I found this on the clearance rack for $1/yard.  I couldn’t believe my luck.  I figured it would work great as a lining, and boy was I right.
So guess what, I bought 20 yards of it!  I’ve got more than enough knit fabric for dresses so it will definite be used.  Having the knit lining does wonders for the fit of the dress.  It keeps it from being too clingy.
I didn’t bother to hem the underlining, I mean no one is going to see it right.  And this fabric doesn’t ravel.  So I just cut it about 4 inches shorter than the actual finished dress and serged the hem of the lining.


DSC_0586




Well when you get a good fit on a dress then you of course have to make it in another fabric right!  So off I went to my stash closet to get another piece of knit, and this is what I ended up with.
I consider it sort of a leopard print, maybe?
Again I lined this in the black knit that I used on the previous dress.
As you can tell I love my turtle necks to be to long in the neck part.  Maybe it’s because I’m tall and think I have a taller neck.  I just like it to “bunch” up a little.









What alterations did I make to the pattern you ask.
  1. I marked the hipline 9 inches below the waistline (This is where the widest part of my hips fall).  I used my the old “pivot slide” technique to do the initial side seams, then used a curved ruler to smooth out the curved seam from waist to hip (I have a Fairchild Designer kit which contains every possible ruler that I would need to alter patterns). I compensated for ease.  I sort of estimated the width based on the width for the pattern size that I used, and then adjusted out from there.
  2. From there I lengthened the dress so till it was just below my knee.  Then at the hem line, I tapered the dress in about 1” on each side seam (A total of 2” on each side).  This gave the dress a more fitted styling without being to tight to walk in.
I am so in love with the dress and how it looks on me, that I’m going for two more.  But this time I’m going to make them floor length.  One of them will be made from this fabric that I got a while back (I think it was mail order from Moods):
DSC_0588 Because of my height, I’ll be confiscating the kitchen counter top (it’s the only area long enough for me to lay out the knit fabric without it hanging off the sides).
I’m trying to decide if I will line it in the black or in a cream color knit that I have.
 I’ll post more details when I make this one with respect to the pattern modifications, etc.

I’m hoping to get photos of me in the dress. I’m still trying to feel comfortable using my camera remote.

I may give my husband another chance at picture taking; but he seems to be  “camera challenged”.  When he takes pictures for some reason he always leaves out appendages like the head, arms, legs etc. 
Well, off to my kitchen counter, oops! - “cutting table”,  I go.



Happy Sewing . . . .

3 comments:

  1. love how you altered the pattern into a dress! very creative! love all your fabric choices, they look greta!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and double wow! You know I love your dresses, they are just my style and apparently yours too right! I am going to save up to get those rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fabric and design of pattern. I am glad you discussed the lining as I hate when knits cling and wondered how to make a dress that wouldn't. If I get brave enough, I will try this!!

    ReplyDelete