Saturday, November 9, 2013

If you don’t like the fit; maybe alter the pattern?

So like many, at first I fell in love with this pattern.

Vogue 1314

After seeing the success of Mimi's version here and here. I thought it would be perfect.  However, when I made it the ruching just didn't lay right.

DSC_0458DSC_0456

Maybe there isn't enough ruching, I don't know.  I just know it wasn't right for me.  I was so disappointed in it.  Needless to say I haven't really worn it.

I kept thinking that maybe I read the instructions wrong or something.

Then I saw the posting by Sarah at Goodbye Valentino (here).  My results looked a lot like hers.

She was able to save hers (see here).  Maybe I'll give it another try later, once I've recovered from my initial disappointment.

But I'm not one to be outdone by a sewing pattern. NO, I'm not going down like that.  So in order to prove that I outdid the pattern, I took out the ruching of the pattern, and produced this:

pix from ipad 049

It fits wonderfully. (I'll have to take pics of it on me the next time I wear it) .

However, after reading Goodbye Valentino's blog, I may give it another try with the ruching.

So here goes my review of Vogue 1314:

Pattern: Vogue 1314

Fabric Used:  Knit fabric from stash.  The solid is a slightly ribbed knit

Pattern Sizing: 14-20 (cut in size 14)

Did it look like the pattern: no not really

Were the instructions easy to follow: yes

What did you particularly like or dislike:  For some reason I just couldn't get the ruching to lay correctly, not sure if it is the fabric or what.  I may need to add some ruching or do adjustments similar to Goodbye Valentino.

Pattern alterations or any design changes:  My standard alterations

  • Added 6 inches to length
  • Added to hip width

On the second iteration, I removed the ruching (maybe this is what I will start with and just ad additional ruching.

Would you sew it again:   Maybe I'll attempt it once more (with ruching); since I’m not one to be outdone by a pattern – LOL.

Would you recommend it: I'll hold off until I've tried it again.

5 comments:

  1. Nice save on the pattern. Do try to save the original as that fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The easy way to fix the ruching is to cut the pattern apart and add additional length.

    Determine how much additional ruching you need by taking a piece of flat fabric that fits your torso.
    Lay it on your table right side up, fold up the fabric until you get the desired effect.
    Baste the ruching in place and wrap the fabric around your body. Play with it until you like the effect.
    Once you are happy, taking out the basting and measure the ruched area.
    Measure the ruched area on the original pattern. Cut it apart and add the additional width.

    To save the original dress, fold out the ruched area. Cut the dress apart making a waistline seam. Use the fabric that you removed to make a cummerbund belt.

    I hope you don't mind me giving you my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Towanda, Anytime anyone can give me insight believe me it is received with an extreme amount of appreciation.

      I love both suggestions. I was considering trying to change the first-pass of the dress to a top; But love your suggestion on saving it as a dress.

      I'll definitely post once I've attempted the redo.

      Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  3. great remake on the dress & lots of great info form Towanda! I ahve a dress that didn't do what I expected & still thinking of tossing it lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the crossover from doing as the pattern says to doing what you want and what your fabric wants you to do!

    Both are cute and I'm glad you made a version that you also like. I think you can save the first one and can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete