Today, I finished a top that I had started a while back. It's this top from Burda:
![]() |
| Burdastyle Magazine May, 2013 - #112 Long Top |
I thought to myself it's a simple top, its loose fitting, and only has 3 pattern pieces; so why waste fabric on a muslin. So off I want to working on my top.
Alterations before cutting out:
- Add 4 inches to the overall length
- Add 4 inches to the overall width. (I angled this from 0 inches at the shoulder seam to 4 inches at the hips – more of a tent dress affect – to accommodate the hips).
Since the top is an oversized top, it fit everywhere except the hip area; too snug. So the first version (I guess I should actually call it my "muslin"), was cut off just above the hip line, and has now become a top. I'll wear it as a top with a cinched waist; i.e. belt, as in the second photo.
So I recut the top out of another cotton weight fabric that I had. The only additional change that I made was to add another 4 inches at the hip line. This did the trick:
I pulled the front out so that you can see the asymmetric cut of the hem line. I made it to wear it with jeans; but I rather like it with a pencil skirt.
So what was my review – Very Easy Pattern (However, you have to be comfortable with Burda Magazine patterns, since instructions are at a minimal).
Pattern Description: Burda Magazine May, 2013 - #112 Long Top
Pattern Sizing: Cut out the size 38/40
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern once you were done sewing with it? Yes, considering that I totally ignore the "suggested fabric".
Were the instructions easy to follow? Very Easy (only 4 pattern pieces)! Remember this is a Burda Magazine pattern so instructions are at a minimal, and you may have draft your own pattern pieces (for the sleeve band and a neck facing).
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that its a basic design that you can use as a shell to create whatever your mind can conjure up.
Fabric Used: I should have used a knit; but instead made this from a silky woven and a cotton fabrics. (Recommended fabrics are just that – RECOMMENDEDJ!).
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a couple of changes as mentioned above:
-
Added 8" at hip line area. This means I tapered the top to somewhat of a trapezoid shape, rather than the straight shaping in the line drawings.
- Added 4" to overall length
- Drafted a neck line facing of 1" in width and interfaced it.
- I did French seams on all of the side seams
- Also, I used bias tape to do the hemming; rather than double folding the fabric. I understitched the bias tape; then hand stitched the hem in place. It made for a lot cleaner hemline.
- Two lines of top stitching (edgestitch and ¼" ) on the sleeve seams, neckline
Would you sew it again? Yes, I'll give it one more go with another silky woven fabric.

I know what you mean about muslins lol! I have a dress that I am trying to redeem before tossing it to the wind, love the colors of your top, gladyou were able to reddem it!
ReplyDeleteHelen
Love both! Nice save on the top!
ReplyDeleteI hate making muslins...because of the fabric waste and the whole making the garment twice.