Friday, November 15, 2013

Burda Style for the US . . .

 

Well today I took 1/2 day from work, and decided to stop off at Joann’s fabric store to pick up a couple of Simplicity patterns at 5/$5.  At the register I discovered this:

DSC_0483

This is the premier (Winter 2014) issue of the Burda Style magazine (I’ll call it Burda-US).  I had to get it to see how it differs from the German Burda Style (Burda-Ger), which I subscribe to:

  • Burda-US published quarterly; Burda published monthly
  • Burda-US contains some of the patterns from the monthly issue of Burda-Ger
  • Burda-US does'n’t have the “ALL STYLES AT A GLANCE” page, which is kind of nice to have.
  • Nice thing; measurements, yardage, etc. are written up in US english.  Which is nice
  • Magazine is bound rather than stapled.  So you don’t have to pull apart the staples.  The pattern section is on perforated pages that can be removed from magazine.
  • Price per quarterly issue $14.99 (But can get yearly subscription for sale price of $29.99).

I wanted to see if it offered me more than the German version.  It is a more “Americanized” version of Burda Style,  There is a “top 10” section; this months top 10 is on “Sewing the perfect buttonhole”.

I’m still going thru the issue; but so far so good. I just wanted to share this; and will provide more details as I get farther thru my analysis.

However, since I have a annual subscription to the German magazine I probably won’t do a subscription to this one.  I’ve gotten used to my Burda magazine’s coming monhly!  

 

Happy Sewing . . . .

2 comments:

  1. I called every joAnn, Michael's and Barnes & noble in the area. Must not be enough sewers in Minnesota. Boooo. I'm watching an eBay listing though. Fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you're unable to locate a copy.

    ReplyDelete