Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pretty in Pink!

So here's another dress made from my stash of fabric.  This time the fabric is from Denver Fabrics.  The pattern is  McCall 6504. ( I first mentioned it in my May 11 posting; well if you are wondering, yes I finished it).


McCall 6504 View C

It is a really light weight dress, and part of my no-brain dressing wardrobe.  The fabric is a lightweight cotton that was somewhat sheerr, so I unerlined it with a pale-pink batiste fabric.

Pattern Description: 
     View C of semi-fitted and flared dresses have hemline variations, back zipper and narrow hem and sleeves with tuck and button trim.


Pattern Sizing:
    Made Dress in Size 14


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
     Yes dresslooked exactly like pattern

Were the instructions easy to follow?
     Yes instructions were very simple and straight forward. 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
    Again this is a full skirted dress with princess seams; which meant no hip alterations, and easy to adjust for bustline.
Fabric Used:
     Pink printed Cotton Fabric from Denver Fabrics Retail Store in Denver, CO. Batiste used for underlining from Studio Bernina in Lafayette, CO
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
   I did my usual height adjustment; I added 5 1/2 inch to the overall length of the dress.  Other than that there were no additional fitting adjustments needed.  I did the standard hem that was recommended (I chose to hand stitch the hem) and did without the button on the sleeve.
 I made a couple of alterations to accomodate the underlining and I used french seams throughout the dress.
The underlining was made using the same pattern peices as the dress. Instead of hemming the underlining, I used lace as a trim.  The french seams started from the waist to the hem of the dress and underlining: above the waist I did a standard 5/8" seam.

Rather than hemming the underlining, I just added lace, and made the underlining about an inch shorter than the dress.

I also used underlining in the sleeves so that I didn't have to bother with hemming them.  The underlining was sewn to the sleeve at the sleeve hemline; then the sleeve was sewn into the garment as a single unit.
 Take a look at the underlining (I'm so glad I did that, it was well worth the time and effort).


 I thought I'd try an in-action shot (twirling around). Oh if only I could be like a toddler and spend indefinitely; I paid for that one with some dizziness afterwards!

Happy Sewing . . .

5 comments:

  1. that turned out fantastic! don't let the wind catch you or it might twirl when you don't want it to lol! I love everything about your dress! those little extra things we do can sometimes be a pain but so worth it in the end
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lady! I love everything about this dress! That beautiful fabric, it's lightweight, pattern, fabric print .... everything, everything! It's wonderful! Enjoy spinning like a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Sandy!!!! Love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog! You are very talented. I love this dress and the fabric. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it...looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete