Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My First Patrones Pattern and My Next Sewing Adventure

Well I just completed my first Patrones pattern. It was a high waisted skirt from the Patrones Extra issue #272.



I had a black/white cotton print from my stash, that I used. It turned out nicely. I also decided to put some boning in the upper waist, to keep with the waist shaped, and standing tall. It was very strange making a pattern and not being able to read the instructions. It has got me thinking of
learning Spanish. (That's one thing I regret is that I required to learn another language in high school, oh well this is something for my future retirement - learn Spanish; At least all my kids took 4 years of a foreign language in high school).

The skirt actually has princess seams so it was very easy to fit. I decided to try the "sway back" adjustment just for the heck of it on the skirt, and it turned out very nicely.


Well, as to my next sewing project. It's a vintage pattern that I got from my mom. I'm going to make it up in a green Silk Dupioni (I'll have to underline it):


The pattern was a size too small, so I had to do some pattern grading. This was is my first attempt at it. I used some instructions I found at:


It actually wasn't too bad, and actually turned out good on the first go round:


Now on to getting the skirt part fitted. I typically have to add 4-6 inches to get the length right.

2 comments:

  1. Very chic looking. I like the tip on adding the boning. I'm definitely going to do that the next time I make a high waisted skirt. My waist always wants to scrunch down! Very nice job and you look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice!!! Love that print on your skirt!

    ReplyDelete