Sunday, June 8, 2008

What does LOVE look like 25 years later - A sewing story

I know for a fact that sewing for anyone is nothing less than an act of love.

When my sister was a little girl, the cabbage-patch dolls had just come out. She of course wanted one but my Mom told here no. Now mind you I am 15 years older than my little sister, and of course she came to her big sister (that's what we are here for!).

Since I couldn't go against my parents wishes, I had to find an alternative. At the time Butterick had just posted a pattern for "soft-sculptured" dolls. So off I went to the fabric store to complete my first doll. I finished her and gave her to my sister. She took that doll with her everywhere she went. This doll was loved beyond love!

Now fast foward to over 25 years later. My sister is now 31 years old and an attorney:

(My Sister)

She no longer carries the doll with her everywhere. If you are wondering what happened to the doll?

Well I recently returned home and my mother had a surprise for me. That little doll that was "homemade" with love was sitting on the bed in one of her rooms. She had on a new dress, and new socks purchased by my Mom. I think she is more beautiful today than she was 25 years ago.

My mom says all she could think of was the love that this little doll reminded her of. Even though her head is a little wobbly now, she's loved more now than she was in her first year.

So if you're wondering what love looks like as it grows old, well words can't describe it, only a picture will do it justice.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story! And yes, sewing is an act of love! You defined it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your post today and came and checked this one ....Ah what a wonderful story...and the doll is still beautiful after all these years.

    ReplyDelete