Monday, June 25, 2018

Organizing My Pattern Stash & Burda Magazines

So I thought I'd refresh you on how I organize my pattern stash and Burda Magazines.

Pattern Stash: 

I have 2 Pattern Sewing cabinets that I purchased from Craigslist (I got lucky and found them within driving distance of my home).  They are stored in the cabinets by company and number.

Next came the question of how to track them. 

Several years ago I started using Microsoft Onenote.  I have access to it thru my Office 365 access, and there are apps available for Onenote for the Ipad and Iphone. 

I store the front and back covers of my patterns in one note in a folder for each pattern company.  For most of the information I can do a cut and paste from the pattern company websites:





All of my patterns are stored on the cloud, which means that I can access my pattern information on any of my mobile devices.  I've been using this method of recording my pattern stash for over 8 years now, and love it!  As I purchase a pattern, I add it to my OneNote database.  I organize my patterns by Company and pattern number.  I can't tell you how many times having access to my patterns have saved me from buying duplicate patterns!

Photos from Iphone: 
 

Also I can write additional information on the one-note entry as to alterations made, thoughts, etc.  It took a while for me to input all my patterns; but I have not regretted it!

Burda Magazines:

With respect to my Burda magazines, I track those using the "Burda Navigator" application.  (It can be found at: Burda Navigator GitHub ).  Just select the Burdanavigator.zip file and extract the content.

Select the "burdanavigator.html" file from the files you extracted.  This will open a browser window: 

When you first open the file; the menu's are "non-english".



To change the language select the first icon (the triangle looking icon) and set your language to english).


After that you can select the first icon to get a list of magazines.  Currently the magazines go back to 2010. With each update the developer is adding an additional year and the current issue. Updates are done on a monthly basis, within 2 weeks of the release of the latest issue.

The third ICON (with the headshot on it) you can see the photos for all of the patterns in a specific issue issue: 

The icon with the compass on it; shows the line drawings for the patterns in an issue.

If you select an image from either of these windows (photo or line-drawing) you will get a full image of the pattern: 

Its relatively simple to use.  There is also a filtering option to allow me to search the magazines.  This has been a blessing for me; as I have magazines going back to 2000.  I don't have to sit and search through my magazines looking for a pattern.

Happy Sewing!

Sandy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your organizational tools! These are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete