(This is a image of the pattern I pulled from the web.)
I got this pattern from the owner of the store that I purchased my Bernina from (She knows I LOVE me some vintage patterns!). I immediately fell in love with the back neck line. The copy I received was for a 34 bust, so I needed to increase it to a 36 bust. I use the process that I learned months ago, from the link in the side margins.
This meant I had to add 1" to both front and back. I split this to approximately 3/8" and added them in 3 locations. Below is a picture of the altered front and back bodice pieces:
I've got instructions for Vintage Pattern Alterations methods linked to my "pinterest" account here:
Vintage Pattern Sewing. I did the same alteration to the front midriff piece.
Here is the finished dress.
Sorry for the blurry pictures, my husband is trying to learn to take the photos; He's used to an Smart Phone; but hasn't mastered my Nikon.
Pattern Review:
Pattern Description: Butterick 8083, View A
Pattern Sizing: Size 14/ bust 34, Altered up to a bust 36Did it look like the photo/drawing on pattern once you were done sewing? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes at least for me, I am used to sewing vintage patterns. So someone that is not familiar with the instructions in a vintage pattern might have some difficulty.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the look and feel of this pattern; specifically the scoop neckline in the back and the full skirt.
Fabric Used: A cotton border print that I found at MetroTextiles in New York
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
-- upsized pattern to a 36" bust
-- changed skirt bottom to a gathered skirt, because I wanted to make use of the border print
The fullness of the skirt was based on the width of the lower part of the original skirt pattern
-- I underlined the entire dress, since my fabric was light weight.
-- Added grossgrain ribbon under the zipper (I've pinched myself one time to many zipping fitted bodices!).
Would you sew it again?
Yes, now that I have this sized correctly I will be making a version with short sleeves and the straight skirt out of a light weight wool.
Happy Sewing . . .





What a lovely dress! Your choice of fabric is spot on for the pattern!
ReplyDeleteit turned out great! thanks for the links, I love Pinterest, between it, you tube & google we can bout figure anything out that we set our minds to doing lol!
ReplyDeleteHelen
You did a wonderful job. Very pretty.
ReplyDelete