Well I'm guilty of that also. For years I had been a loyal Viking sewing machine fan; having owned 2 of their embroider machines. The last one being the Viking Designer 1+. I was always faithful and bought their version of embroidery software.
Well a couple of years ago my husband agreed and got me the Bernina 830 machine. I so-o-o-o love it. I don't think I'll ever outgrow this one. I'm still learning new things about it; and I've had it for over 2 years now.
Well needless to say every machine has THEIR version of embroidery software that is better than the competitor. Well I refuse to buy another software that is going to require me to upgrade every year or so to get all the "latest" features. When Viking mentioned they had a new version, the 5D, and what it would cost to upgrade; yet again, I decided I just couldn't do it anymore.
This past fall I attended a sewing seminar by Floriani threads. I figured what the heck, I already use their threads and stabilizer. It was an all day seminar, & you got all kinds of goodies for free. So off I went.
They allow you to install a "demo" version to test drive the software before you buy it. What is really appealing to me is that all the software upgrades are free. So I don't have to purchase the upgrade to get the latest functionality. So right now I'm doing a comparison of Floriani with my Viking software . Both are usable with my Bernina and Viking machines.
So far I've been impressed with it. I'm going thru the tutorials now. If you are thinking about purchasing it, I recommend going to one of their seminars/events and purchase it then. After a seminar they offer a huge-discount, well below the MSRP. (If you're wondering, I'll be keeping my Viking software; if I can avoid having to pay to upgrade everytime though; I'm all for it).
I'll keep you updated on my Floriani travels, as I learn more about it.
The Coat:
Now onto the status of my coat. I got the sleeve welts done. I started attaching the sleeves, i.e. basting them in place. I've got a couple of fit issues with respect to the sleeve and armhole. So I'll be stopping by my instructors shop on Monday to get her guidance on what went wrong (or maybe right, if I'm lucky).
The Alternate Project:
As I work my way thru my coat, I need distractions so that my patience doesn't get the best of me, and it wind up UFO. I'm just ordered some silk organza from Dharma Trading. I'm going to be working on a vintage dress for spring wear, and it will need to be underlined. I figured now would be just as good a time as any to give Dharma Trading a try. I saw pretty good reviews of them on Sewing PR.
I found some amazing cotton border prints that I want to make the dresses from. I'm going thru my patterns trying to choose my first one.
Well, off to finish my Floriani's software training. . . . . . .
The Alternate Project:
As I work my way thru my coat, I need distractions so that my patience doesn't get the best of me, and it wind up UFO. I'm just ordered some silk organza from Dharma Trading. I'm going to be working on a vintage dress for spring wear, and it will need to be underlined. I figured now would be just as good a time as any to give Dharma Trading a try. I saw pretty good reviews of them on Sewing PR.
I found some amazing cotton border prints that I want to make the dresses from. I'm going thru my patterns trying to choose my first one.
Well, off to finish my Floriani's software training. . . . . . .
Hi Sandy, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I'm so touched. You will not believe it, I've been on the hunt for silk organza on the net all morning. I even went on the Dharma trading site, but the cost of shipping it to the UK was not cost effective. I've seen some uk sites selling it, so I will order it soon.
ReplyDelete