Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pray for me, because.....

A seamstress can never have too many machines, right?

I remember my grandmother used to sew on a treadle machine. I have fond memories of her sewing and asking her to let me work the peddle for her (as I sat on the floor in front of the machine). I had always wanted to get hers, but when she passed on, it sort of got lost.
Well anyway this weekend I went to a estate sale in search of some vintage patterns, and there it was in the corner. A Singer 66K treadle machine, with all of the attachments. Needless to say my memories took over and I just had to bring it home (with some nudging from my partner in crime, my girlfriend). The machine was in perfect working order. I cleaned it, oiled it, and put a new belt on it. I sewed a couple of scrap pieces of fabric to check on the tension:


This week I put my Bernina in for a tuneup, so I've had to put some of my other machines in to active duty. I'm working on another pair of jeans. I've read on others blogs, how its nice to have multiple machines, with one of them setup for top-stitching.

So I sat up my Singer 99K, which I found about 6 months ago. Again, it was in excellent condition. I just had the sewing mechanic look at it, and make sure all was OK. It came with the standard attachments, and a buttonholer, zigzagger, darning, and hem stitch attachments. Not to mention the case which also had the keys. I had originally bought it as a machine to take to quilt classes, since the 830 is way to heavy too try and lug around. I set it up to do all my seams:


The other machine that I sat up is my Old Domestic machine. I found this many years ago at a garage sale for $25. It too has all of the attachments. I set it up to do all of my topstitching on.

Another pointer I picked up from Two on Two off blog, and used upholstery thread from my topstitching.



Boy did this setup made the topstitching so-o-o much easier. Here is the topstitching on one back pant piece:
And of course, I set up the trustworthy Viking serger to finish the raw edges. In addition to these, I also have a Viking Designer 1, and I have a Elna Supermatic.
Now that I think about I do have a LOT of machines. So pray for me, ask God to make sure another one doesn't try to sneak in my car and follow me home :)
PS I'll tell you about my vintage pattern excursion in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful bunch of sewing machines! The attachments for a 66 treadle (if it's the ones that hook on from the back) are hard to find these days so hang on to those.

    ReplyDelete